Sunday, February 14, 2016

Private Prisons

2008 - Present:

Fun fact: I was a libertarian once. I voted for Gary Johnson in 2012. I knew he'd fail to be elected, but I didn't vote for him because of some idealistic belief. I voted for him to rebel against the political structure in America. In 2008 I had voted for Obama. And while I have no buyers remorse or feel like he betrayed me on purpose, I will admit - I was naive. Hearing the chants of "Yes We Can" bolstered an unprecedented passion in me, and a feeling of community togetherness. I was optimistic that America had hope. And I was certain by electing one man, THIS man, as president, America was going to change for the better.

I underestimated the power and influence that the establishment had. as well as the power and influence that money had on the government, including Obama.

Two years into Obama's presidency, I found myself scratching my head and wondering "Why isn't he doing more to accomplish what he promised to do?" At first I was confused. But when my confusion turned to anger and distrust, I began to resent the government. Although I still felt that Obama was sincere (and still do to this day), I felt like something was holding him back. Preventing him from accomplishing more. (maybe some of you who voted for him felt this same way). It was a rude awakening to realize how corrupt our government was. And in a fit of rage, I decided to blame the government. Not just the officials, governors, senators, leaders etc. but blame the structure itself.

This atmosphere of resentment towards authority couldn't have come at a more perfect time. It was 2011, and the republican party had begun its vetting process to find the candidate they'd use to overthrow Obama's re-election. And when you're mad at government, there's one man and one party whose message will sound like music to your ears - and no - it's not the republicans.

Enter Ron Paul


Gary Johnson & Me
Every word that came out of Ron Paul's mouth was like gospel. No one could articulate the feelings of disappointment I had in government quite like the leader of the revolution of 2012. But it wasn't just his words, it was his demeanor. He was mad. Mad as hell. And so was I. The government worked to help their own, for which it did (and does) very well. And if you're not in their little group - they're remarkably good at being apathetic towards your needs. Caring about you when they need your vote, and caring only about themselves the rest of the time.

Ron Paul was a god send. But when he dropped out of the race, the only option left for my rebellious spirit to voice its complaint against the establishment came in the form of Gary Johnson, the Libertarian candidate for president. I wanted to send a message to the elites in government, that anti-government sentiment was gaining traction, and to notify them that their days were numbered. I felt like I had found my home - I had always had a strong distrust of authority, and that sentiment could only flourish under the Libertarian Party.

In an online chat Gary Johnson put on in 2012, he expressed his support for something that seemed controversial at the time - Private Prisons. I didn't know what it that was, and was so mad at government, it didn't even cross my mind to investigate what it was. I would vote for Gary, and that was that.

In 2013, the following year, I was given an essay to do in my college English class. I decided to use that as an opportunity to gain an understanding of the Private Prison Industry, and why Johnson chose to support it. I did a thorough research of the topic, following all the guidelines, validating all the sources, and when I finished, I handed in my essay, turned my back, lifted my middle finger at Gary Johnson, Ron Paul, and the revolution, and walked away.

The Private Prison Industry:


The Private Prison Industry has existed for a long time in America, but it never had that much of an impact. It wasn't until the 1980's, when Ronald Reagan decided to strengthen the war on drugs, that incarceration began to grow rapidly. As it grew, there was a need to build more prisons.

When the industry started seeing real gains in their profits, it realized it could keep its profits high, if it kept incarceration rates high. So, in the 1990's they lobbied the government to increase the severity of punishments for lawbreakers, and in under 10 years they successfully doubled the rate of incarceration in America, and thereby exploded their profit margins.

But destroying people's lives to make money wasn't enough. Wanting to outdo themselves, they started cutting down on staff, and cleaning services which lead to several huge health code violations. In one such case three men, one of which was in prison for murder, were able to escape from a prison due to a lack of maintenance and security. The Prison was in Arizona. The Private Prison Industry in Arizona might sound familiar to you if you've had the unfortunate pleasure of hearing the name Jan Brewer.

She was in the news a while back for supporting one of the strongest immigration laws in America. The law SB 1070 was so controversial it gained international media attention. One thing you probably didn't hear that much about was how the Private Prison Industry was involved. Two of the staffers working for governor Brewer, had just left an organization known as the CCA (The Corrections Corporation of America). The CCA is an organization that owns and manages private prisons, they also lobby officials in government to introduce stricter laws and harsher penalties. Their business model is simple: Increase prison population to increase profits. One way lobbyists accomplish their goals is by going to officials and promising them jobs in their firms. Kind of a 'if you scratch our back, we'll scratch yours' scenario. The CCA got so cozy with officials that regulate their business, that even Harley Lappin, the Federal Prison Director, was offered a top position in the CCA after leaving his position in government. He was pressured to leave his position in government after being arrested on a DUI charge. You might think that a mistake like that would have ruined his career, but not if you've got friends in the CCA - in that case getting a DUI is just the kind of bright, go-get-em attitude they're looking for to head their sales division.

This revolving door also played a role in Arizona's SB 1070 law in 2010. Two of governor Jan Brewer's staffers came directly from the CCA to government positions that regulated the same industry. And to no one's surprise, they put forth a bill that would increase the CCA's profits.

Mr. Coughlin, one of Brewer's staffers even went so far as to brag about his relationship with the lobbyists after passing the law. He was quoted in an interview as saying "I get shit done."

Americans acceptance of government corruption has gotten to the point where officials can brag about their own role in corruption to our faces.

This is the America you live in, the America you inherited.

And once every few decades those in power create a new device to make money from oppressing the American people. So the next time you hear a candidate say they support the Private Prison Industry - don't walk, don't even run - hide your wife, hide your kids, and hide your husbands...


3 comments:

  1. Good start. The topic of this is so vast and complex that even deep reading into it only scratches the surface. I recently read some articles in The Nation magazine about the prisons specifically for illegal immigrants and the horrid conditions that have led to several deaths within their walls due to neglect. The article is titled Seprate, Unequal, and Deadly. The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander is a must read on this topic as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I only wanted to touch the surface on this issue. I honestly could write in all caps, swearing every other word about my hatred for these people and in the end still feel that I was downplaying my anger.

      I've heard of that book The New Jim Crow - haven't gotten around to reading it yet though.

      Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  2. I believe that critical thinking in politics, especially American politics will always be tainted by the all mighty capital (R) no not republicans, but religion.

    ReplyDelete